Faculty and staff may use Harvardís Emergency/Backup Care benefits when regular care isn't available:
- When the regular caregiver or stay-at-home spouse is ill or temporarily unavailable,
- Between child care arrangements,
- When regular day care center, school or after-school program is closed,
- To transition back into a regular work schedule when returning from leave,
- To accommodate changes in flexible work arrangements,
- Other situations where back-up care is required.
Parents in a Pinch, Inc.
Harvard has contracted with Parents in a Pinch, Inc. (PIAP), to provide emergency/backup in-home back-up care services. The service is available to benefits-eligible faculty, administrative and professional staff, support staff in HUCTW, non-bargaining-unit support staff, and postdoctoral fellows.
- You must pre-register for this service.
- The service dispatches a caregiver to your home.
- This service allows caregiver to stay with mildly ill children.
- Service is available for children of any age.
- You pay the caregiver ($15 per hour) directly.
- Service is available in greater Boston and in some U.S. cities.
Current Harvard employees may visit HARVie for registration forms.
Just in Time Care
Just in Time Care is a service designed to help eligible faculty and staff pay back-up caregivers. This program is open only to benefits-eligible employees who earn less than $70,000 annualized salary.
- You must enroll for this service.
- Care is provided by the provider of your choice. You can use Just in Time Care funds in conjunction with Harvardís Parents in a Pinch services, other care programs, or for a back-up provider you identify including a friend, neighbor or family member.
- The service reimburses you or pays you caregivers directly up to $350 per eligible employee per year.
Current Harvard employees can call the Employee Assistant Program (EAP) at 877-327-4278 to enroll.